Winner of the lag must break. No coin flipping. To perform the lag, both shooters are to simultaneously shoot a ball from behind the head string to the foot cushion and back toward the head cushion . Whichever shooter’s ball comes to rest closest to the head cushion is winner of the lag . It does not matter if a shooter’s ball touches the head cushion; the ball closest to the head cushion wins the lag.
- If a shooter, during their lag shot, knocks their ball into any pocket or off of the table it is a loss of the lag.
- If both shooters knock their balls into a pocket then both shooters are to re-lag.
- If, during the lag, both shooter's balls make contact with one another both shooters are to re-lag.
- If, during the lag, one of the shooter's balls travels passed the head cushion, and resides inside the jaws of one of the pockets closest to the head cushion without falling into the pocket, both shooters are to re-lag.
- If, during the lag, a shooter's ball makes contact with any foreign object such as a stick, human being, or rack it is a loss of the lag.
- The winner of each game breaks in the next.